Boys & Girls Clubs of Toombs County offers affordable after school and out of school programs for young people in at locations in Vidalia and Lyons, Georgia.
Our various program areas challenge and develop the mind and body of children and teens, helping them establish a firm foundation on which to build moral and ethical values through a wide-range of educational and social programs
A TYPICAL DAY AT THE CLUB
The typical day at the Club begins when the school bells ring. At 2:20 pm each day, Monday through Friday our school bus leaves the club and makes it rounds picking up and delivering children and teens to the front doors of the club. In Lyons, the Toombs County school transportation department delivers children to the front doors of the Club house.
Every child and including all teens are encouraged to complete homework assignments (worksheets, reading, etc). After the homework assignments are complete, class groups are separate again and all children and teens complete several BGCA programming activities. Some activities are presented from one to three times a week depending on the program schedules completed by the Club staff and Unit directors.
Once club programming is complete, classes are assigned gym time or opportunities to run and play outside for at least 30 to 45 minutes each day. The free play is also part of the daily routine at the BGCTC. We try to stimulate the Body, mind and soul of all children and teens each day that attend the Club. All club programs are run and planned prior to kids and teens arriving at the club and reviewed by the Unit directors. Training plans are posted in each class room. When whether is an opportunity, the Club staff should have inside activities planned for the children.
All members participate in the following every day:
• POWER HOUR
Every child and including all teens are encouraged to complete
homework assignments (worksheets, reading, etc).
• TRIPLE PLAY ACTIVITIES
(1) Daily Nutritious Snacks and Meals
(2) Daily Exercise: Planned and outside free play
(3) Mind challenges
CHARACTER & LEADERSHIP
• S.M.A.R.T Girls
• Passport to Manhood (Boys only)
• Community Service Activities (Teens)
• Youth of the Year (Yearly in Atlanta, GA.)
• Student of the Month
• OJJP – Mentoring Programs (Selected group of kids)
• Community Leadership Visits - Speaking on Careers
• Community Programs – MLK Day, Black History Programs, Christmas Parade, Nursing Home Visits, Clean-up Vidalia, Onion Festival Participation, etc.
• Field Trips & Movie Matinees (June & July)
• Parent & Student Dinners – Thanksgiving & Christmas
• Summer Lunch Program – Community (free)
• Teen Fundraisers – Carwashes, Coke & Pepsi Wagon promotions offsite
• Summer Camp (June & July)
EDUCATION & CAREER
• Back to School Bash (July)
• Money Matters
• Work Force Development Programs
• Interviewing Skills & Resume writing, etc.
• Jobs for Teens (June & July)
• College Tours – Physical or Virtual tours
SPORTS, FITNESS & RECREATION
• Daily Exercise- Planned and outside free play
• Jr. NBA Basketball League (children 8 to 18 years old)
• Dance line (Middle & high School)
• Swimming Program (June & July)